Saturday, October 24, 2009

Show Prep #22

Greetings and Salutations, people. It’s the radio show that Fort Collins, Colorado police now believe may be a hoax. This is Vertically Striped Radio, and I am your host Craig Dodge. You may have heard that Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year, but I say Christmas gets it’s butt kicked by this time of year, and not just because football is mid-season, basketball is about to get going, hockey is a few weeks old, and we’re about to get cranking on the World Series. Of course, the fact that all four major sports are playing is a good thing, but the REAL reason it’s such a good time of the year is because Boo Berry cereal is available in stores. Yes, I’m a 33 year old man who is way too excited about a sugary cereal. It’s one of my weaknesses. When I was a kid, my parents always ate cereal that was more like vitamins. Stuff like Maximum Strength Muslix with extra tree bark. Ugh. So, I have rebelled as an adult. I don’t eat the sugary stuff every day, but every now and then, I like to throw in a box of fruit loops or Peanut Butter Crunch, and around Halloween time, MY FAVORITE! The Blueberry flavored cereal with little marshmallow pieces known as Boo Berry. It’s only available for about a three week window around Halloween, but it is GOOD! I had a bowl of it for breakfast this morning, and I can feel it’s power surging through me!

Today on Vertically Striped Radio, I’ve got another great moment in BlogTalk history, we’ll discuss the juggernaut that is the undefeated Denver Broncos, We’re down to 3 teams left in baseball…so perhaps we’ll take a look at postseason baseball. I have a story about how last week I not only put my foot in my mouth, but halfway down my esophagus. Plus, I have the weirdest music recommendation in the history of Vertically Striped Radio. MJ will not be joining us today, as his parents are taking him to a Broadway play, so I’ll by flying solo today unless you like to call in. Since I am all alone, I’d love to get your calls today, so if you’re feeling up to it, dial on in to Vertically Striped Radio at…


Give out the phone number - (646) 716-6831 OR 6-HOP-1-MOVE-1
Email address: radio@verticallystripedsocks.com

Our friend Andrew Tobey, also known to the Dameshek.com faithful as Major Minority, actually emailed me last week to let me know he’d be calling in to listen but not to talk unless he raised his hand, which I appreciated, because as you may know, I can get confused pretty easily when people call in. I’m very smart.

One other update, as I haven’t done this for awhile…a twitter update…(08- Ed’s Twitter Song)
I’m following: 46 people
I have: 69 Followers (Although to be fair, I don’t know how many of those are fake twitter accounts that are just people trying to sell me real estate or sex toys.)

If you’d like to get my awe inspiring insights from Twitter, you can follow me at @socnorb777
Let’s get to the news…(Play News Music – Clip 03)
JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) – South African traditional leaders plan to perform ritual animal slaughters to bless stadiums for the 2010 World Cup tournament ahead of the start of the showcase event next June, they said on Friday.
Zolani Mkiva, chairman of the Makhonya Royal Trust, a grouping responsible for co-ordinating cultural activities, said the tournament, the first to be held in Africa, needed to be blessed in true "African style."
"We must have a cultural ceremony of some sort, where we are going to slaughter a beast (cow)," said Mkiva.
"We sacrifice the cow for this great achievement and we call on our ancestors to bless, to grace, to ensure that all goes well. It's all about calling for the divinity to prevail for a fantastic atmosphere."
South Africa is set to host the World Cup -- the world's most watched sports spectacle -- in less than eight months, with the tournament expected to attract about 500,000 foreign tourists.
Mkiva said the Trust has sent letters to the chief executive and chairman of the World Cup Local Organizing Committee (LOC), proposing traditional ceremonies to be performed at each of the 10 stadiums that are going to be used for the event.
The officials have yet to respond to the request.
"We believe that from the start we've got to do things in accordance with our own traditions," Mkiva said.

PALERMO, Sicily (Reuters) – A Sicilian builder transferred from prison to house arrest tried to get himself locked up again to escape arguments with his wife at home, Italian media reported Thursday.
Santo Gambino, age 30, did time in the big house for dumping hazardous waste before being moved to house arrest in his home town of Villabate, just outside the Sicilian capital of Palermo.
Gambino went to the police station and asked to be put away again to avoid arguing with his wife, who was nagging him and accused him of failing to pay for the upkeep of their two children.
Police charged him with violating the conditions of his sentence and forced him to go home and patch things up with his wife.

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) – In a story that would make Glenn Close’s character in Fatal Attraction happy and surely has PETA preparing to do something wacky, the city of Stockholm, Sweden is apparently allowing wild rabbits to breed for…get this…fuel.
The city of Stockholm shoots thousands of wild rabbits spread across the green spaces of the Swedish capital and sends their bodies to be burned as heating fuel, a practice which has enraged animal rights groups.
City official Mats Freij (Fry) said Stockholm killed 6,000 wild rabbits last year and has said that a subcontractor decided to use the cadavers as fuel.
"One should put this in the perspective that we (humans) are actually cremated ourselves and that generates a completely different reaction," Freij (Fry) said in response to criticism.
Animal Rights Sweden spokeswoman Lise-Lott Alsenius (Lisa Al-sen-ee-us) questioned whether the practice was humane or ethical and suggested neutering the male rabbits as an alternative method of holding down the population.
"One at least has to evaluate what the alternatives are to just simply shooting them and burning them for heat," she said.
Konvex, the company handling the operation, said the rabbits were ground up with the cadavers of other beasts, and reduced to flammable form and incinerated.
"Just as with us people ... the bodies contain a lot of fat and fat has exactly the same energy content as normal heating oil for instance," Konvex Chief Executive Leo Virta said.

And now we have a special report from the Onion Radio News about a beverage that would definitely fit my lifestyle. Let’s go to Doyle Redland for the story… (Clip 18)




BERLIN (Reuters) – A 41-year-old man in Germany due to face questioning over theft got himself in even more trouble by squeezing in another robbery on the way to the police station, police said.
"It was a case of 'just nipping out to do a bit of thieving before being interrogated for shoplifting'," police in the western region of Lippe (Lip) said Tuesday.
Officers were following up a supermarket robbery in the town of Blomberg with detailed descriptions of two thieves and their getaway car when they had to return to the police station.
To their amazement, they said they discovered a man at the reception waiting to be interrogated for shoplifting who looked suspiciously like one of the pair wanted for the morning raid.
Outside, they said they found his accomplice sitting with the stolen goods in a car with the matching number plate.
Now the man faces a second set of charges, police said.
I guess this makes sense, if you’re going to get in trouble for stealing, you may as well really get good at doing it.

I’m Craig, and that’s the news…(Play News Music – Clip 03)

(Check the phone lines to see if you have any calls)

Topics:

-My Story of Michael Johnson and making fun of Colorado State.

-The Broncos just keep on winning in their, “Making new believers every week”, tour. This week’s victim? The Chargers in San Diego on Monday Night Football. After an iffy first half, once again the clamps came down in the second half on defense, and the Broncos powered their way to a huge divisional win. They now lead the AFC West by 3.5 games, and look to be the prohibitive favorite to win it.

-How do we feel about NFL games in London? Is this a good thing for the NFL? Roger Goodell this week says that he expects the NFL to start playing multiple games in Great Britain (they are scouting locations in Manchester and Glasgow, apparently) and he hopes to expand to England at some point in the future. The NFL is not, however, considering putting the Super Bowl overseas just yet. Goodell says that the league would expand rather than move existing franchises, and that the other likely spot for expansion would be back to LA, especially since California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger just signed a bill allowing construction on a 75,000 seat stadium.

-George Visger dropped in to do an interview with me on Thursday night, and he is a very interesting guy. He spoke a bit about his football career as well as some startling stories of the casual way they handled concussions as well as brain hemorrhaging back in the early 80’s.

-Can you be a fan of more than one team? I say no. I got into this conversation inadvertently at work, as a guy I work with claimed he was fans of multiple teams. Even worse, he said he was a Raiders fan but also a Broncos fan, I tried to explain 1. That is impossible especially with those two teams, but 2. You can have one team, and have an affinity for others, but you can’t be a FAN of both. Eventually these two teams are going to play against each other, and you will have to choose. Your heart will go with one team, and the other team will turn into your enemy.

-Fantasy update: I’m 4-2 in the Dameshek.com league, as my team which I feared may be terrible has actually been okay to this point. I’m also 4-2 in the league I play in for money. So despite having teams that I don’t love, I’m doing okay. I’m joining up in a fantasy NBA league with some of the guys from Dameshek.com where our draft is tomorrow. I’m thinking the draft may take forever, as there are TWENTY guys in the league. I’m not even sure there are enough NBA players to fill out all of our 13 team rosters. The draft may take a few years to complete, yikes. I’m planning on drafting live until I lose all interest, and I may let the computer round out my roster with auto-draft.

-Go to VSS.com to read off weekend predictions
-The Ed’s Gambling Competition. MJ is in first and I’m dead last at the moment. The
-Jen and the Muppet Movie: How can I be married to a woman who doesn’t appreciate the Muppets? I love her, so I guess I’ll find a way.

-I sung out loud the theme to Gilligan’s Isle at work this week.

-Kyle Orton’s retro helmet looks like an eight ball.

Great Moments in the History of BlogTalk Radio: Ed does pushups.



Thriller classes - Downtown Thriller Dance EventAttention, Grisly Ghouls! DanzArtz Studios is a hot, new dance studio located at 520 Cherokee in central Denver. DanzArtz Studios is teaching a series of affordable group classes for people of all ages and skill levels to learn the group zombie dance from Thriller. Thriller will be performed in zombie costumes on the 16th Street Mall at dusk, on Halloween, by all dancers who have been trained to do the routine. The final round of Thriller classes are being offered on Wed, Friday, and Sunday nights in October, and cost $32 for four, one-hour sessions. Classes are filling up, and you must reserve your space in advance. Amateur dancers are learning the choreography in four weeks flat, and having a great time as well! Classes are taught by Vicky Fields, of Vicky Fields Dance, Inc., the co-owner of the studio. She has 25 years of experience in jazz, ballet, swing, Latin and ballroom dancing. If you want to learn Thriller and dance it in costume on the 16th Street Mall on Halloween, visit: www.DanzArtzStudios.com, or www.ThrillerDanceNight.com.

(Check the phone lines to see if you have any calls)


The Vertically Striped Music Recommendation:
“Has Been” by William Shatner (2007)

Yes, that’s right. William Shatner. Captain James T Kirk. He made an album. I can’t completely recommend this album, since I have only heard one song from it, but this song is so goofy and cool that I am going out on a limb and recommending it. The song I’ve heard is called “Common People.” It’s a bit weird, but I dig it, and come on…it’s William freaking Shatner! Plus it was produced and some of the music was played by Ben Folds, who rules, and on this song Joe Jackson does a lot of the vocals. The Shat man does mostly spoken word stuff, and it’s different from anything else I’ve ever heard. It’s just so out there, that I love this song. So we’ll go out today with “Common People” by William Shatner.


Give thanks to people who showed up, wrap it up with “Shalom and Good Evening to you all!”
(Clip 16) – Common People

No comments:

Post a Comment