Saturday, August 22, 2009

Show Prep #14

Greetings and Salutations, people. More interesting that licking wallpaper glue…it’s Vertically Striped Radio with your hosts Craig Dodge, that’s me, and my co-host MJ Amory! Vertically Striped Radio: Inconveniently scheduled around my needs! Let’s do this thing, shall we, Mr. Amory? (Should we play MJ’s theme song?)

If you feel bold and courageous and would like to join in the conversation, please feel free!

Give out the phone number - (646) 716-6831 OR 6-HOP-1-MOVE-1
Email address: radio@verticallystripedsocks.com

Today on the big show: Guests scheduled to appear…providing that they actually call in…include: The Ed, who said he has written our show down on his board to remember to call in, We also are scheduled to be joined at 4:00 by our Raiders correspondent, Andy Petersen. (If we are able to spend a few minutes planning the Mickey Mouse interview bit at this point I will say: We are also scheduled to be joined by Mickey Mouse) We will really and truly finish up for good the AFC portion of the ridiculously long-running Over/Under predictions segment that I believe we started up sometime during the Mesozoic Period or perhaps the Bronze Age, I forget. In accordance with Sports Talk Radio law, We will talk up a bit of the Brett Favre situation. We may also take a few minutes to try and help my co-host find an NHL team of his very own, if you’d like to make a case for a team MJ should follow, please feel free to call in.

All of this good stuff and more is on tap, but first…The News…


(Play News Music – Clip 03)
Notes for MJ:
(The Ed is supposed to call in, and he will probably chew up a lot of time, He is hard to get off the phone, but he is hilarious, so I don’t try too hard. We may end up cutting a lot of stuff if he remembers to call in, but it’s so totally worth it, as the Ed cracks me up.)
(Andy Petersen has told me he’s going to call in at 4:00, I work with Andy, and he should be fun to have on the show. He’s an overly optimistic Raiders fan who should be fun to razz a bit, but he’s also a good guy, and he’ll probably add to the conversation, so he’ll be good to have on. Assuming he calls in, I’ll probably toss him a few Raiders questions, and then we can just have him sit in on the conversation.) (Music Clip 09)
Chances are good we don’t get through everything on this sheet, but that’s okay, I like being over prepared. If I skip something or skip around, no worries, plus I’m not married to this sheet. If you have something that’ll make for a good conversation or we go in an unplanned but entertaining direction…roll with it! I appreciate what you bring to the show, my man!


1. LONDON (Reuters) – Visitors to London always have to be on the look out for pickpockets, but now there's another, more positive phenomenon on the loose -- putpockets.
Aware that people are suffering in the economic crisis, 20 former pickpockets have turned over a new leaf and are now trawling London's tourist sites slipping money back into unsuspecting pockets.
Anything from 5 pounds ($8) to 20 pound notes is being surreptitiously deposited in unguarded pockets or open handbags in Trafalgar Square, Covent Garden and other busy spots.
The initiative, which runs until the end of August in London before being rolled out countrywide, is being funded by a broadbrand provider, which says it wants to brighten up people's lives in unusual ways.
"It feels good to give something back for a change -- and Britons certainly need it in the current economic climate," said Chris Fitch, a former pickpocket who now heads TalkTalk's putpocketing initiative.
"Every time I put money back in someone's pocket, I feel less guilty about the fact I spent many years taking it out."
London's police have been briefed about the plan, which will see at least 100,000 pounds given away.

Our second news story may be the gayest story I have ever seen, it is flamboyantly awesome!
2. WILTON MANORS, Fla. – A man with a tattoo of Britney Spears' name on his arm or neck allegedly stole a Chihuahua with pink earrings from a South Florida gay bar. Brian Dortort, 48, said Thursday he has spent weeks searching for his 4-month-old pooch, named Hudson Hayward Hemingway. The dog, about the size of a softball, was in a specialty pet bag.
Dortort said he let a man hold the Chihuahua for a moment during a friend's birthday party, then both of them disappeared.
Police said a suspect has been identified, but it's up to the Broward State Attorney's Office to decide whether to an issue an arrest warrant.

3. COLUMBIA, S.C. – A South Carolina woman has won a $2 million jury verdict against a dental clinic that mistakenly pulled 13 teeth. The State reported that 28-year-old Elizabeth Smith wanted three teeth pulled when she went to the Sexton Dental Clinic in Florence in 2006. Her lawsuit said a dentist at the clinic pulled all 16 of her upper teeth.
One of Smith's lawyers, Robert Ransom, said the woman plans to have restorative surgery as soon as possible. That's estimated to cost about $80,000.
Clinic attorney Saunders Bridges said he is considering an appeal.

I’m Craig, and that’s the news…(Play News Music – Clip 03)

(Check the phone lines to see if you have any calls)

And now, the thrilling conclusion to the AFC Over/Under predictions!
AFC Over/Unders:
Broncos – 7 – M – Under C – Under *
Chiefs – 6 – M – Under C - Push
Chargers – 9.5 M – Under C - Over
Raiders – 5.5 – M – Over C - Over

Steelers – 10.5 – M – Over C – Over *
Ravens – 8.5 – M – Over C - Over
Bengals – 6.5 – M – Under C - Over
Browns – 6.5 – M – Under * C - Under

Jets – 7 - M – Under C - Under
Patriots – 11.5 – M - Over C - Over
Dolphins – 7 – M – Over C - Under
Bills – 7.5 – M – Under C - Over

Jaguars – 8 – M – Under * C – Under *
Colts – 10 – M Push C - Over
Titans – 9 – M Push C - Under
Texans – 8.5 – M – Over * C - Over





My Topics:

-Brett Favre – This is what I had as a potential topic for last week: “Officially retired, NOT coming back to Minnesota. Now that we’ve had a few weeks to digest that, good for Favre AND good for the Vikings” So much for that…let’s discuss the debacle that is the Minnesota version of Brett Favre

-Picking a hockey team for MJ – Wants a local squad in NYC, so the contenders are: Isles, Rangers, and Devils.

-Interview with “Mickey Mouse” – I assume I will be interviewing you, MJ as you do the Mickey Mouse impression? If so, we probably should talk about this segment on the show before we do it, as there is some back story I’m not sure you’ve been listening to Dameshek long enough to be able to get into everything fully. I’ll fill you in. Let’s do this segment, as it could be hilarious, but only after we have a chance to talk about it first!

-The Treasures which I discovered at Invesco Field…my very productive shopping trip to the Invesco Field at Mile High Gift Shop. Very Good Times!

-My burgeoning animation career with Flipnote Studio.

-I saw the movie “Taken” with Liam Neeson

-The National Anthem battle – O Canada vs. Star Spangled Banner

-Chad Ochocinco, is he available as a K for the fantasy draft??

-Rundown of the myriad of football contests we are a part of over at Dameshek.com
1. Fantasy Football league
2. The Ed’s Super Deluxe Football Game
3. The Ed’s Super Deluxe Football Game
4. Joe vs. The World – Gambling Title Competition
5. UMass Dameshek’s Pick’em League

I guess it’s time to announce the Vertically Striped Survivor League! On ESPN.com, I’ve started an Eliminator Group for the NFL. Pick a team each week to win, and as long as they do so, you stay in. You can only pick a team one time, and there will be some manner of swell prize for the winner!


MJ’s Topics:
-U.S. Unmanned War Drones
-The New Cowboys stadium
-Why CSI sucks
-Anything else you wanna do, just toss it in.

The Vertically Striped Music Recommendation:
“Easy” by Cowboy Mouth

Okay, so I’ve spent the past few months with my Music Recommendation pulling out cool Indie music stuff to try and prove that I’m somewhat of a hipster. I’m going to break from that a bit and recommend a completely different style of album. I really dig these guys, and this is probably my favorite album of theirs. It’s nowhere near as sophisticated or indie sheik as most of the other music I’ve put out there, but I’m not really all that cool or sophisticated either, and this is just a fun album. It’s got great songs like my favorite breakup song of all time, “How do you tell someone” and the title track is just fun to sing to yourself as you’re driving down the road. “Always leaving” is solid, and “Everybody loves Jill” just gets stuck in your head. There is nothing all that cool, inventive or amazing about this music, and I can already hear Cousin Brandon killing this pick, but I dig this light fluffy music, and fully recommend it. I know it’s not great, but not everything I like has to be great, sometimes fun fits the bill nicely. We’ll go out with my favorite song from the record, the title track, “Easy.”


Shalom and Good evening to you all! (Music Clip #14 – Easy by Cowboy Mouth)

No comments:

Post a Comment