Saturday, April 2, 2011

Show Prep 103

Greetings and Salutations, people!  

Chicago trip:
Chicago Deep Dish Pizza is overrated.
Audiomentary about to be released this evening:

VSR and Fake Radio are brought to you by Amazon.com.

Tweet of the Week:
normmacdonald Norm Macdonald 
That which does not kill me makes me wounded.

Today on VSR – We break out a long overdue Magnificent 7 list today…stealing from the venerable LCS Hockey Radio Show by taking one of their lists and inverting it. It’s a few days after the thirtieth anniversary of the writing one of the most insane letters of all time, we’ll look back on it. We have a new edition of “Something to think about” to break out today…plus whatever else we stumble into as is VSR’s custom.

To take part in the show:
Give out the phone number - (646) 716-6831 OR 6-HOP-1-MOVE-1

To contact VSR via email:
Email address:
radio@verticallystripedsocks.com
Voice Mail – 720-CUB-1-ACE
Twitter: @socnorb777




Let’s get to the news… (Play News Music – Clip 03)


SAN ANTONIO (Reuters) – A Taco Bell drive-through customer who became enraged because of a price increase on Beefy Crunch Burritos fired a BB gun through the window at a manager on Sunday, police said.

No one was hurt from the shots fired by the man, who also waved a pistol and an assault rifle in the parking lot, Police Sergeant Chris Benavides said.

As the restaurant's employees and customers hit the floor, the manager called police, and when officers arrived, the angry patron fired several shots at the police cars, Benavides said.

The man then barricaded himself inside a nearby motel room, sparking a standoff that lasted until police lobbed tear gas inside and the man surrendered.

Benavides said the burritos had been sold for 99 cents each as a promotion, but the man was apparently angry that the promotion had ended, and the price had gone up to $1.49.

The name of the 'taco rage' suspect has not been released because he had not yet been formally charged early Monday. Benavides said that the man will be charged with three counts of attempted capital murder, and that additional charges are possible.

The man never did get his burritos.


ST. PETERSBURG, Fla (Reuters) – Helen Staudinger, age 92, wanted a kiss.

 But authorities say after her 53-year-old neighbor refused, the central Florida woman aimed a semi-automatic pistol at his house and fired four times.

"If my head would have been over just a little bit further, (a bullet) probably would have hit me in the back of the head," the neighbor, Dwight Bettner, told Reuters.

Helen remained in jail on Tuesday, a day after being arrested on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and shooting into a dwelling. Her next court date is April 26.

The case of the kiss that wasn't occurred in Fort McCoy, Florida, about 20 miles northeast of Ocala.

Dwight, a former law enforcement officer, said his elderly neighbor has seemed attracted to him since he moved in six months ago. He's not sure why.

"I've taken her trash out for her, just neighborly stuff," Dwight said. "I guess she just took that as something else."

He told Marion County Sheriff's deputies that Helen threatened to shoot him recently when he told her he had a girlfriend but didn't follow through.

Just after noon on Monday, Dwight argued with Helen when she came to his house and refused to leave, according to an incident report.

"I want a kiss before I leave," Helen told him.

No, he said.

"Just go back to your property, and leave me alone," Dwight recalled saying.

Dwight was on the phone with his father when he heard gunshots moments later. One bullet went through a window, spraying him with glass.

Staudinger told deputies that she fired at Dwight’s new Mitsubishi 3000GT, a car "that he loved so much," the incident report said.

Dwight said on Tuesday that he would probably move out of his rented home.

"I just don't need the stress or the hassle," he said. "I thought this only happened to younger people."




JACKSON, Miss. – An argument between two armed neighbours over a dog and its feces escalated to a shootout in rural Mississippi, sending one neighbor to the hospital with injuries from shotgun pellets and the other neighbour to jail.

Terry Tenhet, 52, told The Associated Press he was struck Wednesday in both hands, the shoulder, chest and side by the spray of pellets from shotgun blasts fired by his neighbor, Jerry Blasingame, 60. The wounds are not life-threatening.

Washington County Sheriff's Assistant Chief Deputy Billy Barber said Tenhet was angry at Blasingame because he thought Blasingame's mixed-breed dog had defecated in his lawn.

Each man described his side of the argument and shootout to The Associated Press.
Tenhet says he was friends with Blasingame and only went over to his house to complain in general about the dog feces in his lawn — not to accuse him — and encountered a drunk and irate neighbour.

Blasingame told the AP that they argued because Tenhet shot his dog last week and threatened to kill him and his dog "over poop."

Tenhet denies shooting the dog: "I said 'Jerry, your dog ain't even dead. He said 'Just meet me at the levee and I'll shoot you down.'"

Blasingame said he got a gun and left the house in his truck, hoping Tenhet would follow so there would be no confrontation in front of bystanders.

Tenhet did not follow and said Blasingame returned to the neighborhood from a different direction in an apparent attempt to ambush him.

The men dispute what happened next. Blasingame says Tenhet was armed when he returned to the neighborhood: "(Tenhet) said, 'Point that gun at me.' I said, 'No, point that gun at me.' He shot twice. I returned fire."

Tenhet says he was unarmed when Blasingame returned and told Tenhet he was going to shoot him: "I said, man, do what you gotta do" before Blasingame opened fire.
Tenhet said he grabbed his pistol from his nearby car and returned fire. Tenhet says he dropped his weapon after being struck in both thumbs by shotgun pellets.

Blasingame was charged with aggravated assault. Tenhet could also face charges.
Barber, the chief deputy, said the shooting was senseless.

"Homeowners and property owners need to respect each other's property. Don't let your dogs do that on other people's yards," he said. "Then, at the same time, if a dog did do that in your yard, call the law. Don't take make matters into your own hands."


I’m Craig, and that is the news… (Play News Music – Clip 03)

Bring on Face and The Whale:

Lady Gaga is threatening to sue the Icecreamist store in London that is serving up breastmilk ice cream called “Baby Gaga”

Would you feel more or less at ease if you got on a flight and THIS was your safety video? (Clip 33)

Phun with Phonemail:

“Good and then call me if you please give me a call ... you intended hey.”
(Aaron’s call - Clip 35)

Did you see the uniforms that ESPN the Magazine and Tommy Hilfiger came up with for the Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys and Canadiens? Ugh!




3/30/81
12:45 P.M.

Dear Jodie,

There is a definite possibility that I will be killed in my attempt to get Reagan. It is for this very reason that I am writing you this letter now.

As you well know by now I love you very much. Over the past seven months I've left you dozens of poems, letters and love messages in the faint hope that you could develop an interest in me. Although we talked on the phone a couple of times I never had the nerve to simply approach you and introduce myself. Besides my shyness, I honestly did not wish to bother you with my constant presence. I know the many messages left at your door and in your mailbox were a nuisance, but I felt that it was the most painless way for me to express my love for you.

I feel very good about the fact that you at least know my name and know how I feel about you. And by hanging around your dormitory, I've come to realize that I'm the topic of more than a little conversation, however full of ridicule it may be. At least you know that I'll always love you.

Jodie, I would abandon this idea of getting Reagan in a second if I could only win your heart and live out the rest of my life with you, whether it be in total obscurity or whatever.

I will admit to you that the reason I'm going ahead with this attempt now is because I just cannot wait any longer to impress you. I've got to do something now to make you understand, in no uncertain terms, that I am doing all of this for your sake! By sacrificing my freedom and possibly my life, I hope to change your mind about me.

This letter is being written only an hour before I leave for the Hilton Hotel. Jodie, I'm asking you to please look into your heart and at least give me the chance, with this historical deed, to gain your respect and love.

I love you forever,

John Hinckley



Something to Think About! (Clip 12)


1. Prince Charming needs a first name. Tim?

2. Dead Coyote – Best thing ever for my son
·         What animal made it dead?

·         Maybe another coyote, or maybe it got sick and died, or maybe it froze to death.

·         Or maybe a Lion or a Tiger?

3. Who is buying from telephone solicitors? Someone has to be, or they wouldn’t be doing it anymore.

4. Someone walks into a glass door right in front of you. Laugh or no?

5. Zombie Intellectuals
(Clip 28 – Re: Your Brains – Jonathan Coulton)

6. (Courtesy of Aaron Young) When was the last time a parent had to yell at their kid to "TURN THAT RADIO DOWN!!!!!"? With everyone having I-Pods do kids even have radios in their rooms anymore?

7. How long until someone sells their own name to a corporation?
Buystock.net Band – Sold their naming rights for 251,100




Storm-Troopers 9-11 (Clip 31)





Top 7 Actors that I seek out:
7. Paul Giamatti –Sideways, Cinderella Man, American Splendor, Man on the Moon (Bob Zmuda), Lady in the Water (I’m the one person in America who liked this.), Saving Private Ryan, The Truman Show.

6. Jeff Bridges – True Grit, The Big Lebowski, Crazy Heart, K-Pax, Fisher King, Fabulous Baker Boys, Star Man

5. Scarlett Johansson – Lost in Translation, The Man who wasn’t there, The Island.

4. Johnny Depp – Alice in Wonderland, Pirates, Finding Neverland, Secret Window, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ed Wood, What’s eating Gilbert Grape, Benny and Joon, Edward Scissorhands, Donnie Brasco, Sleepy Hollow, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

3. Leonardo Dicaprio – The Aviator, Inception, Shutter Island, The Departed, Gangs of New York, Revolutionary Road, Catch me if you can, What’s Eating Gilbert Grape. He does have Growing Pains and Titanic taint on him, but he is routinely excellent.

2. Bill Murray – Scrooged, Ghostbusters, Lost in Translation, Groundhog Day, What about Bob, Zombieland, The Darjeeling Limited, Broken Flowers, The Royal Tennenbaums, Rushmore, Kingpin, Maddog and Glory, Little shop of Horrors, Zombieland, Stripes Caddyshack, etc…

1. Paul Newman – Hud, The Hudsucker Proxy, Slapshot, The Sting, Road to Perdition, The Color of Money, The Sting, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Cool Hand Luke, etc…

Honorable Mentions:
Zooey Deschenel
Colin Firth
Billy Bob Thornton
George Clooney
Alan Rickman
Ellen Degeneres
Helena Bonham-Carter
Will Smith
John Cusack
Kirsten Dunst
Mila Kuntiz


The Duel: Worst Caller in VSR history. (Clip 30 vs Clip 31)



My Desk:
Broncos Vertically Striped Socks Uniform Bobblehead
Earl Campbell McFarlane
Tim Tebow McFarlane
White Stallion Schleich
Wells Fargo Stage
Ninja
Lego Baywatch Lifeguard
Bumble the Abominable Snowman
Mr. Tickle
Six Koala Bears hugging pencils
Sharks Sandis Ozolinsh Starting Lineup figure
Admiral Ackbar Action Figure
Snoopy plush
Grover plush
9 Plush Sonic Fish Tater Tots
A company mug that has a Broncos flag and a Rockies flag
60’s Bronco logo sign
A hand painted Brown and Yellow vertically striped toilet paper roll
Mini Broncos Helmet
Stegosaurus

My wall:
An organizational flow chart with a cat in the hat sticker.
A reference chart with a dinosaur sticker on it
An alignment matrix chart with a Buzz Lightyear sticker on it
Plush Ninjatown Orange Ninja
Four photos from Chuckie Cheese (my kids)
Uniwatchblog.com membership card
Photo of me and my wife
Photo of me and my kids
A picture of Sesame Street characters that has Big Bird, Cookie Monster, Oscar, Bert, Ernie, Grover, and Elmo on it.
9 Pins – 2 Broncos, 3 Nuggets, One Rockies, Two Avalanche (one which is a turkey), and One Rapids
Denver Zoo Button


Message Board kid or NASCAR guy?

Chris Slade, Aug 30 '08, 0
Johnny Markus, Mar 1 '10, 0
Dave Joseph, Aug 6 '09, 0
Douglas Davis, Aug 30 '10, 0
Jimmy James, Aug 27 '08, 1
Chris J. Ferraro, Oct 5 '10, 2
Mike McCalla, Mar 20 '08, 4
Nat Purcell, Feb 18 '09, 7
NotMikeDell, Sept 8 '09, 1  (I don't want to give away the ending, but it's not mikedell)  


NASCAR Kids...(Name, Car Number, Sponsor)

David Ragan, 6, UPS
Paul Menard, 27, MasterCraft
Mike Bliss, 36, Prism Motorsports
Dave Blaney, 66, A&W
AJ Allmendinger, 43, Best Buy
David Gilliand, 38, Taco Bell
Marco Ambrose, 9, Clorox
David Reutiman, 00, Aaron's


Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? – Egregious omission.

My donkey basketball experience.

Ralph Nader says get rid of athletic scholarships altogether.

Vertically Striped Music Recommendation:
For You – BuyStock.net Band

Shalom and Good Evening to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment